"To be truly radical is to make hope possible, rather than despair convincing." - Raymond Williams

A post-doom conversation, with Michael Dowd

by Shaun Chamberlin on August 22nd, 2019

Shaun Chamberlin and Michael Dowd - Post-Doom conversation

When the bestselling theologian Reverend Michael Dowd invited me to open his ‘Post-Doom’ series of interviews on dealing with the widespread foreboding about climate chaos, societal collapse, and ecological ‘doom’, I didn’t imagine how beautifully warm and touching a conversation it would be!

We forged a real connection and it was an absolute pleasure to get to know such an authentic man.

Just click play above, or for a list of topics covered and links to jump straight to them, head through to Youtube and click “Show More” under the video.

Or subscribe there for the full series (also at www.postdoom.com), with confirmed future participants including Joanna Macy, Derrick Jensen, Chris Martenson and David Abram.

1.  Jennifer T says:
    22 August, 2019 at 9:01 pm

I’m listening to this now, and it’s an emotional experience

2.  David Fleming's posthumous books - the ongoing book tour says:
    30 August, 2019 at 12:48 pm

[…] 14th August 2019 – A ‘Post-Doom’ conversation with bestselling theologian Michael […]

3.  James Martin says:
    6 September, 2019 at 9:41 pm

I’m just past halfway through listening and have had a thought perhaps worth sharing. That thought is that perhaps this dialogue could be transcribed and posted as an article on Resilience.org ?

Of course, the transcription would involve some time and labor.

Just a thought!

Okay, back to rapt listening!

4.  James Martin says:
    6 September, 2019 at 9:49 pm

PS – On further reflection, perhaps the Resilience.org transcription could just be of some select passages, poignant moments in the conversation? And that being much less laborious and time consuming, I’ll offer to do the transcription. So that’s my offer.

Love you guys!

5.  Shaun Chamberlin says:
    13 September, 2019 at 7:01 pm

Hi James, thanks for this. I’ll drop you an email about it now.

6.  James R. Martin says:
    17 September, 2019 at 10:43 pm

I’ll attempt to get that selection and transcription finished this week, but it’s a busy week! — and there is the Global Climate Strike….

I wanted to share this with you. I find it remarkable.:

Reply to Erik Lindberg’s thoughts on modernity, ecomodernism and Ted Trainer
    By Ted Trainer, originally published by Resilience.org
    April 27, 2016

7.  Luke Orsborne says:
    15 May, 2020 at 9:22 pm

Just got done listening and was left with this thought on the full circle with the redwood trees….that there was a desire to see those trees that came from a sense of awe and appreciation for their beauty, but in the end there was an expression of a kind of love delivered directly to those trees that could not have occurred without the sacrifice that was made years ago….or to put it into another context…a love that had grown to maturity from the seed that was first planted.

8.  Shaun Chamberlin says:
    16 May, 2020 at 11:50 am

Thanks for putting that so beautifully Luke.

I think it’s since that interview that I discovered the etymology of the word sacrifice – “to make sacred”. That rings so true to me – I feel blessed that I was able to make my desire to see those trees sacred (to bring it to maturity, as you say) by heeding the little voice in my heart that told me I wasn’t comfortable with flying to them to gratify it in the obvious way.

9.  Welcome to Dark Optimism! - pinned post - Dark Optimism says:
    21 May, 2020 at 12:33 am

[…] On grief, activism and the darkness in my optimism (see short blog post or 2014 interview or 2019 interview) […]